What? No hot dogs?!

So let's just start this off by saying that I never used to even really like hot dogs. Mystery meat, actually I know what it is making it even more disgusting, pureed up and filled into an intestine... never really hit me as a "delicious food". Maybe I'd have one at a picnic or a cookout once or twice a year... before I decided to be one of those nasty things called a vegetarian. I know, freaks of the earth. Don't worry I'm not contagious.

Anyway, when I was about 10 weeks pregnant I realized that I was just not able to get enough protein into my body for my baby to grow correctly. The thought of eggs, beans, or any kind of "fake meat" made me want to.. well you know. So, I was eating tons of cheese and a little bit of peanut butter. Needless to say I was getting a lot of fat, but not nearly enough protein.

So I did it.

I cried and felt ashamed the first time I bit into a turkey sandwich. (Learned later: You are NOT allowed to eat cold meat of any kind if pregnant. You have to heat it up until it's steaming first... oops) All I could see was the way it was treated in the farms it grew up in, but my husband was there to keep me positive.I later allowed myself to become desensitized to the cruelty again because it is what is best for my baby. Let's be honest. I'd probably kill anything to save my baby. So I am now a meat eater again although I try to eat it in only one meal a day as long as my cravings don't lead me to believe that I desperately need that steak or that... HOT DOG.

Chicken, turkey, pork, ham.. they can all be sitting there and there is no urge whatsoever to eat, but then stick a beef hot dog in front of me and it's like someone else has taken over my body! I suppose that is true. Beef hot dogs have become an obsession to say the least. I will eat them any time of day for any meal.

That's where today comes in. All I wanted was a hot dog (or two) for my morning meal. I knew that there were some in the refrigerator a couple of days ago and I'm basically the only one who eats them. Apparently not. They have vanished and I am left here to eat cereal! Of course cereal is another big crave, but not nearly as strong as the hot dog obsession.

So, I dealt with the cereal. It actually looked pretty good and I was able to calm down a little bit from the previous devastation. I got back to my room in order to surf the web before getting ready for the day, but there was so much clutter on my desk that my bowl wouldn't fit. Setting it down for 5 seconds, I prepared a perfect spot for my second choice meal.

Then I heard it.

Licking!!! Our cat had started to lap up the deliciously creamy milk and eat my cereal! Oh yeah.. it was the very last of the cereal in the box. I totally understand it was my fault, but OH! MY CEREAAAALLLLLL!! I am saddened by the loss of you.

This is going to be a wonderful day.



The evil creature in its natural habitat



1 comment:

  1. Jenn! What a great blog! In answer to your survey, my mom has passed as well but she only died last year so I certainly had her for the times in my life that you are now going through. I spent a lot of time on the phone with your mom during her illness. I am only a phone call away if I can be any help -- I'll give # to you on FB; Re hotdogs: eat kosher. :) Marie W

    ReplyDelete